These homemade Mediterranean black bean burgers with smoky tzatziki are sure to satisfy the pickiest eater. Full of flavor and easy to make, you won’t regret making these. They are meatless, but not vegan.
For this recipe, you’re going to start by draining and patting dry your black bean. Then, spread them out on a foil lined baking sheet and place them in the oven for about 15 minutes. While gather the rest of your ingredients. Chop the onion and garlic. These two items are sautéed together and become a flavor powerhouse.
The black beans and the other remaining ingredients are added to a bowl and mashed together. If you want a finer texture for your patties, you can use a food processor. I used a 1/3 measuring cup to portion out my burgers, making sure to heap the mixture in so that I had thick patties. Next, I lined my baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent them from sticking. Lastly, twenty minutes in the oven and your Mediterranean black bean burger with smoky tzatziki are done.
As for the tzatziki sauce, the recipe is very straightforward. Chop the veggies and herbs, zest the lemon, and combine all the ingredients for a delicious burger sauce. Be careful with the smoked paprika, too much can overwhelm the other flavors.
If you make this Mediterranean black bean burger with smoky tzatziki recipe, please comment below, and give it a star rating. Also, post a pic of the recipe with the hashtag #welldonedrea on Instagram or Facebook.
MEDITERRANEAN BLACK BEAN BURGER WITH SMOKY TZATZIKI
- 1 CUP PLAIN GREEK YOGURT
- 1/2 CUP CUCUMBERS CHOPPED
- 1 CLOVE GARLIC MINCED
- 2 TBSP LEMON JUICE
- 1 TSP LEMON ZEST
- 2 TBSP FRESH DILL CHOPPED
- 1 TBSP MINT CHOPPED
- DASH SMOKED PAPRIKA
- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
BLACK BEAN BURGER
- 1 15 OZ (CAN) BLACK BEANS DRAINED, RINSED, & PATTED DRY
- 2 CLOVES GARLIC MINCED
- 1/2 TSP ONION FINELY CHOPPED
- 1 TSP CUMIN
- 1 TSP CORIANDER
- 1/2 TSP BLACK PEPPER
- 1/2 TSP PAPRIKA
- 1/8 TSP ALLSPICE
- 1/8 TSP CINNAMON
- 1/4 TSP SALT
- 1/2 TBSP OLIVE OIL
- 1/4 CUP PANKO
- 1/2 TBSP WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- 1 LARGE EGG BEATEN
- SQUEEZE OF LEMON
- Stir together all ingredients. Season with the salt and pepper.
BLACK BEAN BURGER
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- Spread the beans evenly on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until beans are slightly dried out.
- Set the beans to the side and increase the oven temperature to 375°F.
- Heat a small pan over low medium heat and soften the garlic and onion with the olive oil, should take about 5 minutes.
- Ina larger bowl, place the black beans, onion, garlic, all spices, panko, egg, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice.
- Stir together and slightly mash with a potato masher or the back of a spoon.
- Form patties and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes turning halfway through.
- Serve with favorite toppings.