My mom introduced me to this cake. A woman who doesn’t consider herself to be a baker, but when she sets her mind to it, she creates something marvelous. This upside-down pineapple rum cake is inspired by her, the self-proclaimed non-baker.
Sweet, ripe caramelized pineapple adorn the top of this cake and if that wasn’t enticing enough, its drenched in dark rum syrup. Whenever this cake is served, it doesn’t last for long.
If using canned pineapple rings, buy the kind packed in pineapple juice and use it to make the cake.
I use a tube pan, but I’m sure this recipe will fit in a 9×13; however, I haven’t tested in that pan size.
The rum syrup recipe produces a generous amount of syrup, if you use all the syrup the cake will be very moist.
If you make this upside-down pineapple rum cake recipe, please comment below, and give it a star rating. Also, post a pic of the recipe with the hashtag #welldonedrea on Instagram or Facebook.
UPSIDE-DOWN PINEAPPLE RUM CAKE
VANILLA PUDDING AND RUM MAKES THIS CAKE ULTRA-MOIST AND DECADENT. TOPPED OFF WITH PECANS AND PINEAPPLES, THIS RECIPE IS THE PERFECT HOLIDAY TREAT!
- 6 TBSP UNSALTED BUTTER MELTED
- 1/2 CUP LIGHT OR DARK BROWN SUGAR PACKED
- 6 SLICES PINEAPPLE
- 1/2 CUP PECANS PIECES
- 4 TBSP BUTTER UNSALTED
- 1/2 CUP WHITE SUGAR
- 1/4 CUP DARK RUM
- 2 TBSP PINEAPPLE JUICE OR WATER
- 2 CUPS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- 1 TSP BAKING POWDER
- 1/2 TSP BAKING SODA
- 1/2 TSP SALT
- 1 CUP WHITE SUGAR
- 1 CUP VEGETABLE OIL
- 1/2 CUP PINEAPPLE JUICE
- 3 LARGE EGGS
- 1 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 (3.4 OZ) INSTANT VANILLA PUDDING
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For the cake topping, add the melted butter to the tube pan and use a brush to coat the sides of the pan.
- Spread the brown sugar evenly around the bottom of the tube pan.
- Line the bottom of the pan with the pineapple slices.
- Spread the pecans evenly over the top of the pineapple slices.
- Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan combine all the syrup ingredients.
- Bring to a rapid boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, until the syrup thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and set aside until cake is ready to be coated.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the following ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder,salt, sugar, pudding mix, and vegetable oil until thoroughly combined. Batter will be thick.
- Beat in the pineapple juice, then beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Scrape the sides of the mixer as necessary.
- Add vanilla at low speed and mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool for 5-10 minutes and then carefully flip the cake onto a serving dish.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Poke holes all over the cake with a long skewer.
- Pour or brush the cake with the rum syrup until all the syrup is used. Enjoy!
Looks great! Just like mom makes!
Your upside down pineapple rum cake looks delicious! Such a beautiful presentation for it.